16 August 2007

Daily Debriefing

Well, Todays trial has been experimenting towards class changing. I'm slotting out quite a few that will get either full or partial reworking to provide what I believe to be a better overall arrangement. Todays goal was to change the Assassin class on the two primary levels.

  1. Changing the 2DA to alter what feat's the class gets/what level they become available at.
  2. Changing the TLK (Talk table) to reflect the above changes and display properly in game.


Suffice to say, I've only made one change so far, a Simple one, let's show you the basic assassin:


- Hit Die: d6.
- Proficiencies: Simple Weapons, Light Armor Proficiency.
- Skill Points: 4 + Int Modifier.


Not bad for a start, but I've always disliked one thing about the class.. How most of the cool and strange weapons.. it can't use by default.


- Hit Die: d6.
- Proficiencies: Exotic Weapons, Light Armor Proficiency.
- Skill Points: 4 + Int Modifier.


See the change? Its minor, until it comes to weapon selection. Anyway, I've tried before to tamper with a talk table and met with a level of success that resulted in only a single change: I got a beer, it seemed preferable.

Not so, with the Tabular Framework application I've kicked around in for this latest attempt. It's actually a TLK and 2DA editor in one app, allowing the user to drag around and alter both, with the added convenience of having both open and drag-around-able while tampering.

This is to say you can have both the talk table(only one allowed per module) and all the 2DA's open that you want and you can switch between them, or drag and place them to keep all the data coherent.

Coherent, that's something I'm not at the moment, but its difficult to explain properly how easy this makes it. Suffice to say, I could train my dog to use this program, getting her to work the keyboard may be difficult. However the software is empathetically not the hardware.

This is a rave review from me to be honest, for the simple fact it handles 2 tasks together that are needed to produce changes, and it does it without bells, whistles, or flaming hoops that seem to be listed as 'features' in so much of todays software. To put this in perspective, my Cell phone has a Calculator(1), a calendar(2), an alarm clock(3), a world clock(4), a stopwatch(5), and a notepad(6) build into its software.

I've used the alarm clock once. It did not meet expectations and I've never used it again. Nor were any of the other "features" I listed above used. Their Fucking Junk. Tabular Framework thankfully does the job, does the job well, and does it without Junk.

No comments: